5 questions you should ask your removal company
A key part of moving house is ensuring all your belongings are moved safely from old house to new. You’re trusting your chosen removal company with all your worldly possessions, so it’s vital you are sure they’re going to do a good job for you.
Now, we don’t like to brag, but we happen to know an excellent removal company in Leeds. Here at Britannia Turnbulls, we’ve been moving households for over 150 years, so we’ve developed quite an expertise.
If you’re planning a move and have yet to secure a removal company to help you out, we’ve created a list of questions you should ask them before you decide to commit.
- Are you a member of the BAR? – This is extremely important. The British Association of Removers is the industry’s governing body. Members are held to account and follow a strict code of conduct which means you can feel confident they’re working to a certain standard. Members should display the logo on their website and on any materials they give you – but it’s always worth double checking by doing a quick search on the BAR website.
- What insurance do you have in place/recommend? – Your removal company should always be happy to share its insurance arrangements with you (and they should definitely have it in place!). In addition, what insurance would they recommend or be able to offer for you as the customer? What happens if your move gets cancelled or needs to be postponed at the last minute?
- How would we get in touch with you if needed? – If all you have is one mobile number, what happens if on the day of the move, the company doesn’t turn up? It may sound dramatic but we’ve been contacted by people who that has happened to – having chosen an independent ‘man and van’ service, suddenly the phone just stopped being answered. Does the company have an office and a landline? Do you feel reassured that they are a reputable company that you can trust? Listen to your gut and don’t be swayed by any crazily low prices – things that sound too good to be true often are.
- If dates don’t manage to tie in, can you store my belongings safely? – It happens more frequently than you might realise that move out and move in dates can’t tie in. Maybe two people in the chain are insisting on different dates, or maybe there’s a new build holding things up. Either way, to keep the chain in place, someone might have to make the decision to move out before their new home is ready to move into. If that happens, can your removal company still pack up your belongings and then store them safely until you need them? Take a look at our storage service.
- Can you help me with packing/boxes/extra advice? – Your chosen removal firm should be happy to offer any advice you need, and to recommend, sell or hire you packaging materials. Some will offer a packing service (as we do – you’ll be amazed how quickly our experts can get things packed away!). You should never feel your questions are a nuisance or an inconvenience and you should always feel like things are being properly explained.
If you’re looking for moving companies in Leeds, why not get in touch? We’ll be more than happy to answer any of these questions – and in fact any questions you might have!← The most popular places in Leeds The top ‘toys’ you’ll want for your dream home →