The best places for first time buyers in Leeds
It has not been an easy few years for first time buyers. It’s been well publicised how difficult it can be getting a first step on the property ladder, with sky high deposits needed and stricter mortgage lending criteria – combined with stagnant wages and a rise in the cost of living.
The pandemic pushed house prices even higher, as people realised how important it was to have a property with room for a home office or work out space, and the joy of having a decent garden or outdoor space. Never had our homes been quite so important in a multi-functioning way!
In March 2022 the Rightmove monthly House Price Index revealed that first-time buyers were now expected to need to spend an average of almost £220,000 for a property. This was a national year-on-year increase of 8.4 per cent – probably not a figure most people had seen in terms of pay rises.
The UK’s average house price reached a record £354,000 that same month too, with the average Yorkshire house price hitting almost £231,000. That is a year-on-year increase of more than 12 per cent.
As a removal company, Leeds, we see first hand the excitement that being able to hold the keys to your first home can bring.
There’s lots of advice out there on the best places for first time buyers in Leeds to look for their first home. Some of them don’t take into account much more than price – but of course, just because a place is lower in cost doesn’t mean you’ll want to live there! The place you choose to set up home has to tick all the boxes for you in terms of amenities, community, safety, public transport/accessibility and potentially things like schools and childcare, if required.
So, using our removals in Leeds expertise, here are some of our top picks that we think could make a great place for a first time buyer to set up home in the city:
- Morley – a great little town in its own right, with a popular high street and a fantastic leisure centre. It’s also close to the White Rose Shopping Centre, which is home to all the big name shops and also has restaurants and a cinema.
- Leeds city centre – you could live in the heart of the action and there is seemingly an endless number of flash new apartments being built. It would be a great location for those working in the centre and fantastic for a social life! Leeds train station can connect you with the rest of the country in no time – meaning you probably wouldn’t need to be dependent on a car.
- Pudsey and Farsley – these two connected suburbs have gained huge popularity over the last decade. They have their own communities, with bars, restaurants and shops aplenty – and the handy Owlcotes centre with a sizeable Marks and Spencer, B&M and Asda is also situated nearby too.
- Kirkstall – just a short bus or train journey from the city centre, Kirkstall has really come into its own in recent years with lots of new developments. Anyone buying there will have a whole host of amenities on their doorstep, easy public transport links and even a famous Abbey to explore!
- Rothwell – Rothwell has great sports facilities and the popular Springhead Park, which regularly runs community events like Bonfire Night displays and Summer Fairs. It has a good selection of shops and eateries and a strong sense of community.
If you’re looking for removal firms, Leeds, why not get in touch. We’re happy to answer any questions you might have and we’ll always do everything we can to help you have a hassle-free and smooth move. Whether you’re moving for the first or the fifteenth time!← A guide to Rent to Buy