Call us today 0113 262 4111

Image of Index

NewsThe Latest From Britannia Turnbulls of Leeds

About us Call us today 0113 262 4111

Britannia Turnbull’s International Guide: Canada

Living in Canada

Following Brexit, one of the most popular Google search terms or queries was “How to move to Canada”. Following the 52 per cent vote it seemed that many of the other 48 per cent were searching “Can I move to Canada?” or “move to Canada from UK”. This is probably not because the extreme weather that you can experience in some areas of the country but because of the favourable way of life. Canada is widely seen as friendly, safe and prosperous area to live coupled with the fact that there are English and French speaking areas of the country. This has led to strict, but not impossible, immigration regulations which aim to attract the skilled to the country.

Facts about Canada

  • After Russia, Canada is the second largest country in the world and has the largest coastline.
  • With over half of its residents having college degrees, Canada is ranked as the most educated country in the world.
  • Canada has more lakes the rest of the world combined. The state of Ontario has more than 250,000 lakes which contain around a fifth of the world’s fresh water.
  • Along with only a handful of countries like India, Mexico & Israel – Canada has Braille-like markings on their bank notes to help the blind.
  • Canada is home to the longest street in the world with Yonge Street in Ontario running at a distance of almost 2,000 kilometres.
  • Canada got its name accidently when a French explorer met local natives who invited them to their village called “Kanata”. The French mistook this for the name of the country as either “Kanata” or “Canada”.
  • Montreal is the largest French speaking city in the world, after Paris.
  • Canada produces 77% of the world’s maple syrup.

Largest Cities in Canada (2016 census)

Toronto, Ontario – 5,429,524

Montreal, Quebec – 3,519,595

Vancouver, British Columbia – 2,264,823

Calgary, Alberta – 1,237,656

Edmonton, Alberta – 1,062,643

Ottawa, Ontario – 989,657

Winnipeg, Manitoba – 711,925

Quebec City, Quebec – 705,103

Hamilton, Ontario – 693,645

Kitchener, Ontario – 470,015

Canada Immigration Information

Permanent access to Canada is tough to achieve but not impossible. We have aimed to provide immigration advice correct at the time of writing but shouldn’t be taken as official advice. Visit Immigration Canada for official word where you can complete free assessments on eligibility.

Canada Priority Residence Program – Eleven skilled worker programs available which operate under a quota system and provides higher rank to applicants with a sponsor from an employer.

Worker Immigration – It is possible, with an offer of employment from a Canadian company, to apply for a temporary working visa.

Family – Super visa available to parents and grandparents of Canadian citizens and residents to remain in Canada for up to 24 months at a time.

Study Visa – Allows a foreign national to study at a specific Canadian educational institution for the duration of the program.

Preparing for Canada

It is commonly thought that Canadians are some of the most hospitable and welcoming people in the world with a strong sense of community. Toronto and Vancouver are the most cosmopolitan cities in the country whereas areas of Quebec can see a degree of hostility aimed towards English speakers.

The weather varies largely across the country with hot summers or brutally cold winters. The Pacific coast sees mild summers and winters.

Moving to Canada

Britannia Turnbull’s are the right removal company to help with your move to Canada. With over 150 years of removals experience to call upon, including multiple deep sea international removals, ensure to get in touch for an efficient and stress-free removal.

Need advice? Call our friendly team today on 0113 262 4111.

Britannia Turnbulls of Leeds